This video is part of the series - Tramp Board Basics. Practice your snowboarding off the snow, so you can be perfect on the snow.
Free tutorial: Shifties
Shifties are simple and very stylish tricks that look sick once learned and performed with control. Before learning shifties you should be able to hit park jumps comfortably with straight airs.
- Jumping - Check out our tutorial on How to Jump on a Snowboard
Shifties are a variation of straight airs where you twist your board into one direction while in the air, and back to straight before you land. The physics behind this trick is to use counter-rotation to twist out and back in again. In a move using counter-rotation your upper body twists in one direction while your lower body twists in the other direction creating momentum between the two body parts. To practice:
- Stand on the ground without a board. Turn your upper body forward to what would be your riding direction. Do a jump where your upper body twists to the right while your lower body twists to the left. Pull everything back to straight and land. This is called a frontside shifty.
- You can also do this the opposite way, then it is called a backside shifty.
- Take this to a trampoline to get more air on your jump and get the sense of hitting a park jump.
The more you practice this on a trampoline, the more you will develop your muscle memory. Doing this it will be more likely for you to land your first shifties once you hit the jumps on the mountain.
In this tutorial we used our snowboard training board. Click the links below to learn more, or purchase your own.
- Tramp Training Board - Free shipping in the USA for a limited time.
What are you hoping to stomp this year?
To get access to all of our tutorials join the Snowboard Tutorial Membership.
The Snowboard Addiction Team
Our Goal is to improve your riding!